43 Grenfell households remain in hotels, says Housing Secretary

Monday, June 11, 2018

Housing Secretary James Brokenshire has told MPs that almost a year on from the Grenfell Tower fire tragedy 43 affected households remain in hotels.

Mr Brokenshire, updating the Commons on the progress of rehousing those affected, said that 198 out of 203 households have accepted a permanent or temporary accommodation offer, with 134 now having moved in.

He added: "I remain very concerned about the 43 households who are living in hotels, my ministerial team has met with many of them and I personally have written to all of them to find out what barriers exist in each individual case and how we can overcome them."

Mr Brokenshire continued by telling MPs he believed the pace had been too slow in rehousing families.

He said: "This is not where any of us wanted to be a year on from the fire, while there has been progress in recent weeks overall the pace has been too slow.

"We will not rest until everyone is settled into new homes."

Flanked by the Prime Minister Mr Brokenshire said that the initial response to the fire "was not good enough".

He said: "The 14 June 2017 saw the greatest loss of life in a residential fire since the Second World War, 71 people lost their lives on the night of the fire and a former tower resident who was rescued from the 19th floor passed away earlier this year."

He added: "A catastrophe of this kind should never have happened in the UK in 2017 and when it did the initial response was not good enough.

"Nothing can undo the anguish and devastation this has caused."

Watch talkRADIO's Grenfell Tower: One Year On documentary above

Comments