Baby suffers internal acid burns after swallowing button battery

Baby internally burned by acid after swallowing button battery

Ollie Lennon was treated at Great Ormond Street Hospital

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

A baby has suffered internal acid burns after swallowing a battery that he was able to get from weighing scales.

Ollie Lennon started throwing up black liquid at the end of May, causing concern for his parents, according to The Metro.

The parents of the baby were firstly told he may have been fighting asthma or croup, a childhood ailment that affects the windpipe, and after calling 101 they were advised to keep him at home in Sussex and monitor him.

Mother Chrissy later went to use the scales and when she found the battery was missing she realised what had actually happened to her baby.

Hospital x-rays showed the button battery in the child's stomach and staff performed an operation.

Father Elliott said: "Normally doctors at the hospital wouldn’t perform surgery on a boy as young as Ollie but as it was an emergency, they did."

The battery was removed and Ollie put into an induced coma before being transferred to Southampton General Hospital.

Scarring and acid burns were discovered in the baby's trachea but there seemed to be no holes burned.

However, after coming round from the coma in early June, he struggled to breathe and it was found that a hole measuring an inch in diameter had formed in his trachea, causing his left lung to collapse.

He was taken to Great Ormond Street Hospital where doctors eventually had to operate on his damaged organs by conducting a heart and lung bypass.

There was a one in 10 chance of Ollie surviving the procedure but thankfully he survived. When he was brought round from another induced coma roughly a week after surgery he was kept partially paralysed as he needed to stay still.

He has now been allowed home and can move around, although can only eat liquids and cannot talk. Parents Elliott and Chrissy are now trying to spread awareness of the dangers of button batteries.

Elliott is also raising money for Great Ormond Street Hospital.

Comments