Qatar Crisis: Moscow denies hacker involvement, says there's 'zero' proof

Qatar Crisis: Moscow denies hacker involvement, says there's "zero" proof

Five countries have cut ties with Qatar in a growing crisis

Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Moscow has denied any involvement in the Qatar dispute, saying there is no proof to support the allegation. 

On Monday, five countries - the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and Yemen - severed all diplomatic ties with Qatar after accusing them of creating instability in the Gulf by supporting militia groups. 

Following this, CNN wrote a report which claimed Russian hackers planted a fake news story to spark the crisis, citing US government officials.

The article claimed FBI agents recently travelled to Qatar to aid the tiny Gulf kingdom in its investigation of a hack on its state news agency, and pinpointed Russian hackers as the source.

However Russia has now denied this allegation. Andrei Krutskikh, a cybersecurity advisor to the Kremlin, told the Interfax news agency this was a "stale claim" with "zero evidence" behind it. 

The advisor claimed conclusions had been drawn without even an investigation.

Alleged Hacking by Russia has becoming a contentious issue after claims the Russian government instigated cyberattacks to sway the result of the 2016 election - allegations it has repeatedly denied.

Comments