Scotland Yard launches review on sex crime investigations following collapse of rape cases

Scotland Yard launches review on sex crime investigations following collapse of rape cases

Two rape cases have recently collapsed

Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Scotland Yard has launched a major review of its sex crime investigations after the collapse of two rape cases in a week.

Reports suggest that every live case, where the Metropolitan Police is in discussion with the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), will be examined.

The announcement came after a second rape prosecution collapsed in less than a week over problems relating to the disclosure of evidence.

Both cases involved the same investigating officer, and the detective remains on full duty in the sexual offences investigation unit, the Metropolitan Police said.

The trial of Liam Allan was halted at Croydon Crown Court last week, while on Tuesday (December 19), another prosecution collapsed against Isaac Itiary.

He was facing trial at Inner London Crown Court charged with the rape of a child under 16, along with other offences, but the CPS offered no evidence.

The defendant was charged in July this year, but police only disclosed further "relevant material" in response to the defence case statement submitted on December 15.

A CPS spokesman said: "On December 17 2017, the police provided new material to the CPS, which had previously been requested, and this was reviewed.

"Prosecutors decided that there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction and we offered no evidence against the defendant at a hearing today [December 19 2017]."

The review is to "ensure that all digital evidence has been properly examined, documented and shared with the CPS to meet obligations under disclosure," police said.

A spokesman for the Met said they were unable to say, at this stage, how many cases would be affected.

Comments