Silvio Berlusconi backs Catherine Deneuve and hits out at #MeToo campaign against sexual harassment

Berlusconi was at the centre of the 'bunga bunga' scandal in 2011

Berlusconi was at the centre of the 'bunga bunga' scandal in 2011

Friday, January 12, 2018

Silvio Berlusconi has backed Catherine Deneuve's letter against the #MeToo campaign and said "it's not an offence to court women."

The former Italian Premier, notorious for his 'bunga bunga' parties and extra-martial affairs, said Deneuve's words were "holy" in a late-night television appearance.

Deneuve, along with 99 other women, wrote an open letter which said that "to seduce someone, even persistently or clumsily, is not [a crime] - and nor is men being gentlemanly a chauvinist attack."

The letter also attacked the wave of "puritanism" which had been unleashed by the Harvey Weinstein sexual abuse allegations, suggesting it was fuelled by a "hatred of men."

Berlusconi said "It's not an offense to court women if it stays in the realm of elegance," and that it was only "natural" that women enjoy the affections of men.

However the media mogul added that his case is slightly different as women usually hit on him, rather than the other way round, according to RT.

The issue of sexual harassment has been front and centre of the news agenda this week, after a number of high-profile actresses wore black at the Golden Globes on Sunday to denounce the wave of allegations which have rocked Hollywood.

The allegations centre on film director Harvey Weinstein, who is accused of harassment by a number of famous women.

Weinstein has been sacked from his own eponymous film company over the allegations, but denies all allegations of non-consensual sex.

 

Comments