Arrests after protesters fill Home Office pool with 'blood'

Two demonstrators arrested after protest filled Home Office pool with ‘blood’ over deportation flights

Protesters filled a pool with a red dye to represent blood in solidarity against the Home Office's deportation flights. Image: Put Down The Sword/Twitter

Thursday, February 14, 2019

Two people have been arrested after demonstrators filled a pool outside the Home Office with fake blood in protest of the government's deportation flights.

The pair have been arrested on suspicion of criminal damage, after activists from human rights groups, including Put Down The Sword, Global Justice Now and All Africa Women’s Group, added a red dye to the pool on Wednesday morning.

The protest came after around 50 foreign nationals with criminal convictions were deported on a plane to Jamaica on February 5, despite some having come to the UK when they were very young.



Protesters also sprayed the Home Office with the word ‘guilty’ and blocked the entrance causing large queues outside the building.

One protester also glued themselves to the Home Office entrance to stop security removing them.

Kent Christian Peace Activists, who were also protesting, described the Home Office as “having blood” on its hands.

Writing on Twitter, they said: “There is blood on the hands of the Home Office – blood of the innocent.

“We demand an official investigation into what’s happened to the people who have been deported.

“We demand a world without borders.”


'Suspicion of criminal damage' 

Protesters say they were removed from Home Office premises by security guards during the protest.

A spokesperson from the Metropolitan Police said: “During a demonstration outside the Home Office HQ in Marsham Street SW1 at around 08:00hrs on Wednesday, 13 February, a protester glued her hands to a window.

“Officers, the London Ambulance Service and London Fire Brigade attended. She was safely removed from the window.



“Two other people, a man aged 47 and a woman aged 72, were arrested on suspicion of criminal damage.”

A Home Office spokesperson said: “Between around 8 and 11am this morning a small number of protestors attempted to block the Home Office main entrance causing it to be temporarily closed to staff and visitors.

“Graffiti was also sprayed onto a glass panel. Police attended and the incident has now been resolved and the entrance reopened.”