Backlash over planned protest outside Jacob Rees-Mogg’s home

Jacob Rees-Mogg has been a divisive figure

Thursday, August 29, 2019

A Twitter post calling for a protest outside Jacob-Rees Mogg’s country home has been slammed as an invasion of privacy.

Labour and remain supporter Howard Simpson wrote: “Protest taking place tonight, 29th August outside Jacob Rees-Mogg’s house… spread the word.”

The tweet has since been deleted after backlash from those across the political spectrum, including independent MP Heidi Allen.

She tweeted: “MPs have a right to privacy and respect in their homes just like everyone else. Please don’t do this.”

The tweet garnered a range of responses and some suggested his family should not be brought into the fracas, while others said it was “difficult to feel sympathy” for Mr Rees-Mogg.

Earlier in the day the House of Commons leader told talkRADIO’s Julia Hartley-Brewer “people seem to be imitating rage in a furious fashion”.

WATCH: Jacob Rees-Mogg talks prorogation with Julia Hartley-Brewer

He has defended Boris Johnson’s decision to suspend Parliament and said only a “very small number of sitting days will be lost”.

“It’s standard to have a Queen’s speech every year, the oddity this time is we’ve gone over two years without having a Queen’s speech and we need a new session of Parliament so we can get on with the domestic agenda,” he said.

It is not the first time the Conservative MP has faced protests outside his home. In September last year demonstrators gathered outside his home in Westminster.

A video showed demonstrators telling one of the MP’s children “your daddy is a horrible person”.

At the time Mr Rees-Mogg said he would “have preferred it if it hadn’t happened” but the protesters were not violent and Britain is “a free country”.

Read more

Rees-Mogg: EU enthusiasts 'friends of every country but their own'

More than one million sign petition to stop Parliament suspension