The Great British Bake Off may be receiving praise at the moment but after ratings are released the press will criticise the show, according to a reviewer.
Bake Off begins on Channel 4 next week (August 29) and the line-up of contestants has been revealed, including a 19-year-old nicknamed "cake boy," a former Royal Artillery officer and the oldest-ever amateur contestant, aged 71.
Reviewer Nick Duncalf told Richard Madeley that critics "have been gunning for this [show] ever since the move was announced, and also the public have been slightly gunning for it, and that’s because people don’t ever like the idea of anyone chasing money."
Despite the good reviews so far, he thinks "the press will probably still manage to have a pick at this show once the ratings are published" especially as Paul Hollywood said the series will be a failure if it doesn't hit 8 million viewers - a figure it is unlikely to reach
Duncalf added that his "gut feeling was always that people had it a little bit wrong" to criticise the new cast, as there's something for everyone, and Channel 4 are hoping Noel Fielding "will pull people who didn’t watch Bake Off before."
But Caroline Frost, entertainment editor at The Huffington Post, said the show has already made a major gaffe because "they've got a very pale skinny [presenter] telling everybody that he doesn’t actually eat cake."
She also thinks Paul Hollywood has "uphill climbing" to do as some were angered that he didn't quit the show along with the original cast.
But Richard thinks the criticism is premature - and in fact Bake Off could have a Jeremy Corbyn moment and confound the critics by performing far better than expected.
Listen to the full audio above