Bakeoff: 'BBC won't rush new TV show with Mary Berry, Mel and Sue because it'd look bitter'

'The BBC won't rush a new TV show with Mary Berry, Mel and Sue because it would be a cheap move against Channel 4', says TV critic

Mary Berry, Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins won't be in Channel 4's version of Bake Off

Thursday, January 26, 2017

The BBC won't rush out a new show with the previous cast of Bake Off as it would be seen as bitter, says TV critic.

The Great British Bake Off is set to return to our TV screens this year, after the BBC, which lost the rights to the programme last year, have waived the right to force Channel 4 to wait until 2018 to broadcast the show. 

The Evening Standard's TV editor Toby Earle told Julia-Hartley-Brewer that the BBC won't "immediately rush something out in order to undercut Channel 4" as it would look like a cheap move.

A format for a new show for Mary Berry, Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins would also need time spent on it, as the producers need to "make sure they get the format right."

Earle added that in the new show the presenter's "chemistry with the contestants should not be underestimated" and "casting for the bakers is always absolutely key."

Listen to the full interview to find out more