Barcelona death toll rises to 15

Barcelona: 13 dead in deadliest terror attack since 2004 Madrid bombings

Islamic State have claimed responsibility

Friday, August 18, 2017

Fifteen people have now been confirmed dead in Spain's deadliest terror attack since the Madrid train bombings of 2004.

Barcelona's regional government confirmed on Monday morning (August 21) that a fifteenth person had been killed.

A van driver went on a rampage in Las Ramblas in Barcelona, injuring more than 100 people. 

Mere hours later, a group of five terrorists wearing suicide belts rammed pedestrians with a car in Cambrils down the coast. 

The five Cambrils attackers were later shot dead by police, with bystanders fleeing for their lives after gunfire broke out. Footage from the scene showed apparently lifeless bodies lying on the ground. 

A major manhunt is underway for the suspect who drove the van into holidaymakers in Las Ramblas, with two people having been arrested in connection with the incident. The main suspect has now been named as Younes 

Shortly after 5pm local time (4pm GMT) on Thursday, the van drove onto the pavement, swerving in an attempt to hit as many pedestrians as possible, according to a senior police official. 

Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the attack in Barcelona, but has yet to make a formal claim on Cambrils.

The events have drawn international condemnation. 

Prime Minister Theresa May said she was "sickened" by the attack, while US president Donald Trump condemned it on Twitter. 

The British leader said Spain had full support from the United Kingdom, and the Foreign Office is working to aid any citizens caught up in the incident.

The authorities have warned the death toll may rise as the injured continue to receive treatment.