Ben Stokes won't be considered for selection until further notice, ECB says

Ben Stokes won't be considered for selection until further notice, ECB says

Ben Stokes won't be considered for selection

Thursday, September 28, 2017

Cricketer Ben Stokes won't be considered for selection for England international matches until further notice, it has been announced.

The ban severely jeopardises the Durham all-rounder's hopes of playing in England's forthcoming Ashes series in Australia, which begins in November.

The English Cricket Board (ECB) announced the suspension this afternoon (September 28) as the inquiry into Stokes' brawl outside a Bristol nightclub continues.

Stokes was arrested in the early hours of Monday September 25 after becoming involved in an altercation outside the Mbargo nightclub. Teammate Alex Hales, who was with Stokes during the evening, has also been suspended.

Footage has since emerged which appears to show Stokes punching two men on the street, and a bystander can be heard shouting for a man called "Stokesy" to restrain himself. However the identity of the assailant has yet to be officially confirmed. 

Stokes is the vice-captain of the England team and one of the most high-profile players in the world. He had been billed as a key player in the forthcoming Ashes contest, having enjoyed a hugely successful summer on the field.

Stokes made his debut for the England test team in 2014 and has become renowned for his exceptional ability in all three disciplines of the game, his powerful batting and potent swing bowling allied to exceptional athleticism in the field.

Comments