Blue Peter star John Leslie charged with sexual assault

John Leslie is accused of sexual assault

Friday, July 12, 2019

The former TV presenter John Leslie has been charged with sexually assaulting a woman more than a decade ago.

The ex-Blue Peter and This Morning star is accused of committing the assault in a Westminster nightclub in December 2008.

Scotland Yard said Leslie was made aware of the charge by post last month.

The 54-year-old said he is “totally innocent of the historic allegation and will be contesting the trial”.

Met Police said Leslie was charged with “sexual touching of a woman aged 16 or over”.

The charge alleges “the touching was sexual when she did not consent and you did not reasonably believe she was consenting”.

Police added: “The victim was aged 30 at the time. Detectives from the Met’s Central West Command Unit investigate.”

Leslie is not on bail, and is due to appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on July 25.

He received his big break in 1989 when he joined Blue Peter as the program’s first Scottish presenter.

He spent five years on the show, before joining breakfast program This Morning and Wheel of Fortune.

The presenter was also known for relationships with actress Catherine Zeta-Jones and model and reality star Abi Titmuss.

He withdrew from public life in the early 2000s, but had returned to radio work in Scotland in recent years.

Read more

'I love and admire all the team': Richard Bacon leaves hospital with NHS tribute

Jeremy Kyle invited to appear before MPs investigating reality TV