Boeing boss says 'sorry' for fatal plane crashes

Plane crash

Memorial left at the site of the Ethiopian airways crash

Monday, April 29, 2019

Boeing's chief executive has said the company was "sorry" for the deaths of 346 passengers on the Ethiopian Airlines flight 302 and Lion Air flight 610.

Dennis Muilenburg made the comments whilst addressing shareholders for the first time since the two deadly crashes took place, which both involved the company's 737 Max airliner.

At the meeting in Chicago - which took place six months to the day since the first of the two crashes -  Mr Muilenburg said Boeing was close to completing an upgrade to flight software on the jet "that will ensure accidents like these never happen again".

Southwest Airlines has previously said it was not told that a safety feature on the Max was turned off until after the first crash happened, and American Airlines pilots complained that Boeing's proposed pilot training for new automation on the Max was not good enough.

Following the two accidents, the Civil Aviation Authority banned the 737 Max 8 aircraft from operating in British airspace "until further notice."

Read more

UK aviation authority grounds Boeing planes following Ethiopian Airlines crash

Drone involved in a near-miss with passenger jet at 6,000 feet