Boko Haram: Four suicide bombers kill 19 and injure at least 23 in Nigeria

Boko Haram: Four suicide bombers kill 19 and injure at least 23 in Nigeria

Several attacks have taken place in Maiduguri (Stock image)

Thursday, July 13, 2017

Borno State Police Command have confirmed that 19 people died in the latest Boko Haram attack in Nigeria.

The attack took place in Maiduguri on Tuesday night (July 11) and at least 23 people were injured in the incident, Today reported.

Four female suicide bombers detonated devices, one of which was activated when the woman was approached by a Civilian Joint Task Force member.

Another targeted a group of people who were mourning victims of other terror attacks.

Boko Haram is an Islamic extremist group which started attacking the country in 2009 and has previously attacked a university and police headquarters.

Twelve of those killed were Civilian Joint Task Force members and the other seven were civilians, the Borno State Commissioner of Police Damian Chukwu said.

At least 860 members of the Civilian Joint Task Force have been killed due to uprisings in Borno State since 2014.

Chukwu has now made a renewed call on local people to provide information about potential threats to security officials.

He has also said the government needs to increase the awareness campaign on the matter.