Boris Johnson: 74 convicted terrorists on early release

Monday, December 2, 2019

Boris Johnson has revealed there are “probably about 74” convicted terrorists who have been let out of prison, as the government begins an urgent review of their release conditions.

It follows Friday’s London Bridge terror attack in which two people were killed by 28-year-old Usman Khan, a convicted terrorist who had been released on licence seven years into a 16 year sentence.

He had been attending a rehabilitation conference at Fishmongers’ Hall when he carried out the attack.

The incident sparked an urgent review by the Ministry of Justice into the existing licence conditions of convicted terrorism offenders, leading to the arrest of a man in Stoke-on-Trent over the weekend.

Nazam Hussain was one of the eight extremists convicted alongside Khan in 2012 for plotting to blow up the London Stock Exchange.

The 34-year-old was arrested on suspicion of preparation of terrorist acts and recalled to prison due to a suspected breach of his licence conditions.

West Midlands Police said there was nothing to suggest he was involved in the London Bridge incident.

The Prime Minister has vowed to take steps to ensure people are not released early when they commit serious offences.

Meanwhile, former prisons minister Ann Widdecombe said that rehabilitation was not a “liberal optional extra”.

“It’s actually a crucial tool of public protection because if the man who leaves the prison gates is just as bad as the man who came in, the public are not protected,” she told talkRADIO’s Julia Hartley-Brewer.

The Brexit Party MEP also warned that you cannot get an efficient prison system “on the cheap”.

“That is something that you have to face up to, if you really want an effective prison system, you have to spend money on it.”

Read more

Families pay tribute to victims of London Bridge terror attack

Sadiq Khan: London Bridge terrorist ‘worst of humanity’

talkRADIO - listen live