Boris Johnson faces sack calls after Libya 'dead bodies' comment

Calls for Boris Johnson to be sacked after Libya 'dead bodies' comment

The Foreign Secretary said Sirte could be the next Dubai if they cleared away dead bodies

Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Boris Johnson is facing calls for the sack after he said a city in Libya could become the next Dubai if it cleared away its dead bodies.

The Foreign Secretary, who played a leading role in last year's Brexit campaign, was speaking at a fringe event at the Conservative Party Conference when he made the comments.

He had been asked about his recent visit to the country.

He told Tory activists investors wanted to change the city of Sirte in Libya, where Muammar Gaddafi was killed in 2011, into a new version of the United Arab Emirates city.

He then said the only obstacle to this was “to clear the dead bodies away” – this response prompted Baroness Stroud to move the conservation on.

The remarks have prompted an immediate backlash from numerous political figures.

A Tory MP - Heidi Allen, who represents South Cambridgeshire - said the comments were unacceptable, calling for Johnson's sacking, while his Labour counterpart Emily Thornberry said the remarks were “callous and cruel.”

Comments