Brexit: Theresa May facing backlash over reports of £50bn divorce bill

Brexit: Theresa May facing backlash over reports of increased divorce bill

Reports have been circulating of an increase in the bill to be paid to the EU

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Theresa May is facing a potential backlash over Brexit after reports that she is ready to offer a hefty increase in Britain’s ‘divorce bill’ payment.

Officials close to the talks are quoted are saying there was agreement for the UK to settle liabilities of around €45-55 billion (£40-£49bn).

If this is confirmed, the talks could finally progress onto discussions of trade, but the reports about the bill have prompted outcry from Brexiteers.

Former Ukip leader Nigel Farage, a key player in last year’s EU referendum, blasted the reported payment offer as a “sellout”, saying it was a “bad deal.”

Mike Hookem, Ukip MEP for Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire, said the bill was "an absolute outrage".

Lib Dem leader Sir Vince Cable said that, if the reported figures are true, Britain will finally see the full price of Brexit.

The Government has said it doesn’t recognise the quoted figures, however, as the talks are still on-going in Brussels.

Representatives for EU Chief Negotiator Michel Barnier would not comment.

The reports come ahead of a meeting between the Prime Minister and European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker to determine whether sufficient progress has been made to move on to trade talks.