Deal to end driver-only train dispute on Southern Rail confirmed by TUC

Deal to end driver-only train dispute on Southern Rail to be announced today

There has reportedly been a deal announced to end the dispute

Thursday, February 2, 2017

A deal to end the long-running dispute over driver-only trains on Southern Rail has been confirmed by the TUC.

The confirmation comes after drivers' union Aslef, which is at the centre of the dispute, announced earlier today that a deal had been reached.

The 930 members of Southern Rail will now have a referendum on whether to accept the deal.

Aslef General Secretary Mick Whelan said "I welcome this agreement which is a significant step forward in addressing the safety concerns of Aslef members on Southern Rail.

"Aslef has never been against changes to working methods. Rather we believe any changes should be negotiated through agreed procedures.

"I am confident this this deal can provide a safer and appropriately staffed railway for passengers on Southern Rail and I will be recommending it to our members.’

Southern has been blighted by repeated walkouts over the last 12 months, centring on the network's plans to remove guards from its trains.

The RMT, which represents the guards themselves, told talkRADIO earlier today it had no knowledge of any deal and would react once it received further news.

However we understand that Aslef does not require the endorsement or backing of the RMT before brokering a deal to end the prolonged industrial dispute.