Deputy Labour leader Tom Watson on hunger strike with Guantanamo Bay prisoners

Deputy Labour leader Tom Watson on hunger strike with Guantanamo Bay prisoners

Tom Watson is going on hunger strike

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Deputy Labour leader Tom Watson has announced that he is going on hunger strike to show solidarity with prisoners at Guantanamo Bay.

Watson told The Guardian "this is not some George Osborne-inspired weight-loss plan" and has called on other people to join him in the strike, where he will only drink water.

The MP is also urging Theresa May to help save the prisoners, as they are no longer being fed by force.

Reports claim prisoners Ahmed Rabbani and Khalid Qasim have not eaten for 26 days in protest against "a decade of torture, injustice and indifference," The Telegraph said.

Prisoners at Guantanamo Bay were previously fed through a tube in their nose when they were low in weight, however it is claimed that this is no longer the case.

But spokesman Major Ben Sakrisson said: “There has not been a change in policy. Existing policy is just being reinforced with our personnel."

He claimed previous attempts to force-feed inmates on hunger strikes had encouraged more to join in.

Rabbani and Qasim also have no medical treatment and are not being monitored, so the risk of the pair dying is high.

Qasim has been in Guantanamo Bay for more than 15 years whilst Rabbani has been in the facility for more than 12 years.

Comments