Mike Parry has given an extensive account of how he broke news of Princess Diana's death, 20 years ago today.
Parry, a star of both talkRADIO and talkSPORT, was running the Press Association at the time of Diana's tragic accident in Paris on August 31, 1997.
He said he was the man charged with making the decision to break the story, which went round the world in a matter of seconds.
He had been at home watching television when the news broke and rushed into the office to verify the details. The original news on Diana was that she had a broken arm and lacerations to her thigh.
His defence correspondent was away with then-foreign secretary Robin Cook in Malaysia, but thankfully had recently been persuaded to carry a mobile phone with him - so was ideally placed to receive the news.
"The situation seemed to get more and more serious because nobody was issuing a bulletin on Diana," Parry said.
Eventually he got the news from his correspondent and "it hit you like a bolt out of the blue," leaving him with a tortuous dilemma on whether to break the story in the absence of official confirmation.
Listen to Parry explain his dilemma and how he decided to publish by clicking above.