President Donald Trump has said the US will not levy additional punitive measures at this time against Saudi Arabia over the killing of Jamal Khashoggi.
Mr Trump said in a statement that the US does not condone the killing of the US-based Saudi columnist, but that "foolishly" cancelling 110 billion dollars in arms sales, as some in Congress have suggested, would only mean that Saudi Arabia would go to other countries to acquire them.
Mr Trump said the king and crown prince of Saudi Arabia "vigorously deny" any knowledge of the planning and carrying out of the October 2 murder of The Washington Post columnist at the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul.
He said: "It could well be that the crown prince had knowledge."
Mr Trump said: "Maybe he did and maybe he didn't."
'The worst cover-ups in the history'
In late October, Mr Trump previously described the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi was "one of the worst cover-ups in the history of cover-ups".
Addressing reporters at the White House, the US president said the entire operation was "a very bad original concept", adding that "somebody really messed up".
"They had a very bad original concept," Mr Trump said. "It was carried out poorly, and the cover-up was one of the worst cover-ups in the history of cover-ups. Somebody really messed up, and they had the worst cover-up ever."
He added: "The process was no good. The execution was no good. And the cover-up, if you want to call it that, was certainly no good."