Donald Trump to sign executive order against social media sites

Thursday, May 28, 2020

Donald Trump will sign an executive order that targets social media sites, according to White House officials.

It comes after the US president threatened to “close down” sites following a row over free speech and misinformation.

Mr Trump will reportedly announce an order against firms today, though press secretary Kayleigh McEnany did not confirm what it would include.

An executive order is a written government order from the president that does not require congressional approval.

Earlier this week Twitter attached fact-checking warnings to two of Mr Trumps tweets in which he branded the postal voting system “fraudulent” and predicted that “mail boxes will be robbed”.

The social media giant said that the posts contained “potentially misleading information about voting processes,” but the Republican leader accused the site of interfering with the upcoming presidential election.

He tweeted: “Twitter is completely stifling FREE SPEECH, and I, as President, will not allow it to happen!”

Facebook boss Mark Zuckerberg told Fox News that his site had a different approach and that private companies such as social media firms should not be the “arbiter of truth”.

But Twitter’s Jack Dorsey defended the move, responding: “We’ll continue to point out incorrect or disputed information about elections globally…This does not make us an 'arbiter of truth'.

“Our intention is to connect the dots of conflicting statements and show the information in dispute so people can judge for themselves.”

Read more

Donald Trump: US having most coronavirus cases is ‘badge of honour’

Donald Trump claims he has seen proof Covid-19 began in Wuhan lab

talkRADIO: Listen live for the latest updates on Covid-19