Dozens dead in Kabul suicide bombing

At least 40 people were killed this morning

At least 40 people were killed this morning

Thursday, December 28, 2017

Dozens of people have been killed in a series of suicide bomb attacks which targeted a Shiite centre and news agency in Kabul.

At least 41 people have died in the blasts, according to the Afghan health ministry.

The attacks targeted first the Tebyan cultural centre, which houses a religious school as well as the Afghan Voice news agency.

It is thought that there three separate blasts in total. The first occurred when a suicide bomber detonated a device outside the cultural centre, and then two further devices went off in the basement - where people had gathered to mark the anniversary of the Soviet Union's invasion of Afghanistan in 1979. 

Nasrat Rahimi, deputy spokesman for the Afghan interior ministry, told CBS News that the incident was the work of a lone suicide bomber and he had attached two magnetic bombs to the walls of the building before he blew himself up. However other reports suggest several suicide bombers were involved.

Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the attack via its Amaq news agency. Isis has attacked Shiites in the past, and claimed responsibility for an attack on another Kabul-based news outlet last month.

Wahidullah Majrooh, a spokesman for the Afghan Health Ministry, said this morning that 35 bodies and 20 injured people had been transported to hospital, so the death toll could increase further.

The attack has been condemned internationally, with British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson describing it as "despicable." 

Comments