Former Labour leader Ed Miliband will be one of those leading a major inquest into the party’s catastrophic general election result.
The review, set up by Labour Together, will include interviewing all 59 MPs who lost their seats in the so-called “red-wall” constituencies of the North, the Midlands and Wales.
Party leader Jeremy Corbyn wrote a letter thanking those who were toppled following a meeting with furious Labour MPs in Westminster last week.
The commissioners behind the independent review said it was “wrong” to blame only the leadership or the position on Brexit for the defeat on December 12.
The party won just 203 seats - its fourth consecutive defeat and worst election result since 1935.
Mr Miliband, who led the party to its 2015 defeat, will be joined by former shadow education secretary Lucy Powell and Birmingham Ladywood MP Shabana Mahmood.
Ms Powell said the inquiry would take a “real and meaningful look” at why the party had “fallen short” at four consecutive elections.
“We have lost the last four elections and we all have to accept that our offers to the country have been insufficient,” said the Manchester Central MP.
“We should have taken the time to understand our losses previously. It's now profoundly important for the future of our Party and country that we take a real and meaningful look at why we have fallen short.”
The panel will also include Jo Platt, former MP for Leigh, Sienna Rodgers, editor of Labourlist and James Meadway, former economic adviser to John McDonnell.
A trade union representative, as well as a local organiser, is also expected to be involved.
The investigation will gather evidence from defeated candidates, focus groups in heartland constituencies and party members and activists.
It will conclude by “mapping out a route” back to power for Labour.
talkRADIO: Listen live