Egyptian student's family say her death could have been prevented by police in Nottingham

Egyptian student's family say her death could have been prevented by police in Nottingham

Mariam Moustafa passed away this week

Friday, March 16, 2018

The family of an Egyptian student allegedly attacked by a group of women in Nottingham have said her death could have been prevented if police acted further on an earlier incident.

Mariam Moustafa was left in a coma after a street assault on February 20 and passed away due to her injuries on Wednesday (March 14).

The 18-year-old engineering student's death has caused uproar in Egypt and the country's embassy called on those responsible to be "brought to justice swiftly."

Nottinghamshire Police has said there is no information to suggest Moustafa's death was a hate crime, although investigators are "keeping an open mind."

Her family allege an incident in August, which they claim involved the same attackers and left Moustafa hurt and her teenage sister with a broken leg, did not receive an adequate response from police.

A confrontation with a group of women began in Parliament Street, Nottingham, at about 8pm on February 20.

The teenager got on a bus at the scene, near the Victoria Centre shopping precinct, but was followed by the same group, who it is claimed were then threatening and abusive towards her.

She was taken to the Queen's Medical Centre in the city then transferred to Nottingham City Hospital where she was treated until her death.

Moustafa's father, Mohamed, told The Times: "I don't know why they attacked her the first time, but they recognised her the second time and went after her again.

"My wife and I think it was racially motivated because Mariam didn't know these girls. Why would you attack someone randomly? They were all of different colour skin to Mariam, maybe that is why they did this."

Despite a Nottinghamshire Police statement saying there is no information to suggest it was a hate crime, the embassy has said the "deep concern of the Egyptian public is evident."

A Home Office post-mortem examination is due to take place. A 17-year-old girl arrested on suspicion of assault occasioning grievous bodily harm was bailed pending further investigation following the incident.