Fifth Strasbourg shooting victim dies

Fifth Strasbourg shooting victim dies

Tributes left after the shooting in Strasbourg. Image: Getty

Monday, December 17, 2018

A fifth person has died after last week’s shooting in Strasbourg.

Barto Orent-Niedzielski died on Sunday after being shot in the head during Tuesday's attack, after which he went into a coma and did not recover.

The 36-year-old from Katowice, Poland, lived in Strasbourg, where he worked at the European Parliament and as a journalist.

Polish president Andrzej Duda wrote on Twitter that "I knew him by sight. I am shocked. I had not realized that he was the one mortally wounded protecting other people. Honor to his memory. RIP."

According to some reports, Mr Orent-Niedzielski fought the gunman and stopped him from entering a crowded club, possibly preventing more deaths.

 

'Supported ISIS'

The other four victims were Kamal Naghchband, a mechanic from Afghanistan, Anupong Suebsamarn, 45, from Thailand, Antonio Megalizzi, 29, a journalist from Italy, ad a 61-year-old who has not been named. 

 

The 29-year-old gunman was killed by police in a shootout last week, and formally identified as Cherif Chekatt.

He was on a watch list of potential extremists and had 27 previous convictions, including robberies.

His parents and two brothers were arrested, but later released after police said there was no "incriminating evidence". 

A man identified as his father told French media that Chekatt has supported ISIS, but that he had tried to turn his son away from the extremist cause. 

"If he had told me about his plans, I would have reported him to the police, that way he would have not killed anyone or been killed himself," he said.