Firefighters continue to tackle nightclub blaze in Glasgow

Firefighters continue to tackle nightclub blaze in Glasgow

More than 120 firefighters have been dealing with the blaze

Friday, March 23, 2018

Emergency services are still at the scene of a fire a day after it broke out on a busy shopping street in Glasgow.

More than 120 firefighters have been dealing with the blaze which began in the roof of Victoria's nightclub on Sauchiehall Street yesterday morning (March 22).

The fire was under control by the afternoon and this morning firefighters have been dampening the area, with several appliances involved.

Cordons are to remain in place for a few days as building safety is checked, the police said.

No one was injured as a result of the fire, which saw thick smoke blowing over the pedestrian precinct.

After the fire broke out an asbestos warning had been given to local residents and businesses.

It had been feared the fire could spread to other buildings such as the historic Pavilion Theatre and shows there were cancelled as well as performances at the Theatre Royal.

The Pavillion Theatre Facebook page stated that there was smoke in the auditorium last night (March 22) and ask was covering the carpets, curtains, plasterwork and seats.

This has meant the theatre is unlikely to be open for a few days.

Alasdair Hay, the chief fire officer, has praised firefighters who dealt with the blaze, which he described as one of the biggest the service has had to combat.