Former Conservative MP Charlie Elphicke denies assault charges

Charlie Elphicke denies all charges

Friday, September 6, 2019

Independent MP Charlie Elphicke has appeared in court to deny three counts of sexual assault against two women.

The former Conservative MP for Dover appeared at Westminster Magistrates’ Court accused of assaulting a woman in 2007.

He is also accused of two assaults against a woman in 2016.

Mr Elphicke has denied the charges and chose to have a trial at crown court. He will next appear at a pre-trial hearing in October.

His solicitor, Ellen Peart, said: “Charlie Elphicke has said from the outset that he denies any wrongdoing. He will defend himself vigorously and is confident that he will clear his name.

“Meanwhile, Charlie would like to thank everyone for their continued support of him and his family.”

Mr Elphicke represented the Conservative Party from 2010 until November 2017, when he was suspended after allegations of sexual assault were referred to police.

In December last year he was readmitted to the party prior to a confidence vote for then-Prime Minister, Theresa May.

At the time Labour MP Dawn Butler said it was a “betrayal of women” for the Conservatives to let a suspended MP back into the party so he could vote for Mrs May.

Before he was expelled for the second time, Mr Elphicke had backed Boris Johnson over Jeremy Hunt in the leadership race, and welcomed Mr Johnson to Dover in early July.

Read more

Conservative MP Charlie Elphicke charged with sexual assault

Ex-Blue Peter star John Leslie denies sexual assault