Former Welsh first minister acted unlawfully in Carl Sargeant inquiry

Former Welsh first minister Carwyn Jones was found to have acted unlawfully in his involvement in an inquiry into his own behaviour.

Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Former Welsh first minister Carwyn Jones acted unlawfully by involving himself in an inquiry into his own conduct after the death of a prominent minister, judges have ruled.

Carl Sargeant was found hanged at his home just days after his removal from office following sexual misconduct allegations in November 2017. 

His widow, Bernie Sargeant, has challenged the legality of the inquiry established by Mr Jones to look into how the sacking was handled. 

The family’s solicitor Neil Hudgell said: "It is hugely regrettable that they have had to take matters before the High Court to shine a light on what have proven to be empty words from the former First Minister.

"Today's ruling does at least address some of the long-held concerns they had about the independence of the inquiry.”

Mrs Sargeant challenged decisions taken by Mr Jones concerning the procedures to be followed by an independent investigator, appointed by Mr Jones to look into his own actions in relation to her husband.

Allowing her challenge, the two judges ruled that "the procedural decisions that were taken will need to be reconsidered".

They said it had been "unlawful for Mr Jones to have been involved in the decisions to adopt those arrangements".

Mr Sargeant, from Connah's Quay, North Wales, was found dead four days after being removed from his role as cabinet secretary for communities and children following claims that he had assaulted women.

His family have said he was not told the details of what he was accused of and was unable to properly defend himself.

 

Read more

Son of late Labour MP Carl Sargeant wins Welsh Assembly by-election
Carl Sargeant: 'If procedures were followed, something's wrong with them because someone died here', says Mark Tami MP