A man has pleaded guilty to Grenfell-related fraud, making him the eighth person to be exposed for obtaining money by posing as a Grenfell Tower victim.
Abdelkarim Rekaya, 28, pleaded guilty to fraud by false representation and obtaining leave to remain by deception at Isleworth Crown Court on Friday (September 21).
He will be sentenced on November 27.
- Read more: Kensington and Chelsea Council apologises for asking resident to remove green Grenfell hearts from her home
- Read more: Woman receives hate mail slating Grenfell victims after displaying 'United for Grenfell' poster
In the wake of the fire in June 2017, Rekaya said he was a resident in the tower and had been present on the night of the devastating blaze.
He was given hotel accommodation and financial support totalling £88,183.70, before being housed and living rent-free until July this year.
An investigation found that he did not live in Grenfell Tower, and he was arrested on June 7, and charged the following day.
- Read more: Grenfell survivors could be at risk from asbestos poisoning, says coroner
- Read more: Former Kensington council worker pleads guilty to defrauding Grenfell fund
- Read more: Fraudster jailed for six years for pretending to be Grenfell victim
Detective Superintendent Matt Bonner, senior investigating officer for Operation Northleigh, said: “I have previously described the actions of those who exploited the tragedy for their own personal gain as truly appalling.
“Not only have their actions exploited the aid and support intended for those most affected, but they also risk misrepresenting the Grenfell community as they continue to try and come to terms with their grief.
“Abdelkarim Rekaya invented a story for his own self gain and exploited the generosity of the public and the local council.
"My thoughts remain with the Grenfell community at this difficult time, the genuine victims who should continue to be at the heart and centre of all we do."