Harry and Meghan’s tabloid boycott branded ‘censorship’

Monday, April 20, 2020

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have been accused of attempting “censorship” after they announced they will no longer co-operate with British tabloids.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have sent a letter stating that from now on there will be “no corroboration and zero engagement” with The Sun, the Daily Mail, the Daily Express and the Daily Mirror.

Former Royal Editor for The Sun, Charles Rae, told talkRADIO’s Mike Graham that the move was “crass and stupid and arrogant”.

“This is an attempt at censorship of a free press in this country and it’s not going to work,” he said.

Harry and Meghan said their new policy was “not about avoiding criticism” and that they believed “a free press is a cornerstone to any democracy”.

The couple, who now live in California having stepped down from royal duties, said they will not “offer themselves up as currency for an economy of click bait and distortion”.

The pair have previously criticised Britain’s royal correspondents, announcing they would no longer participate in the “royal rota” system which has been used by Buckingham Palace for decades.

However, today's statement added: “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are looking forward to working with journalists and media organisations all over the world, engaging with grassroots media, regional and local media, and young, up-and-coming journalists, to spotlight issues and causes that so desperately need acknowledging.”

Executive director of the Society of Editors, Ian Murray said that to “shun individual titles and their millions of readers” set an “unfortunate example”.

Read more

Harry and Meghan will pay for their own security

PM was ‘personally engaged’ in Covid-19 response, says minister

talkRADIO: Listen live for the latest updates on Covid-19