Hillsborough disaster inquest: More police officers should face charges, says Liverpool journalist

'Hillsborough families are not happy with the small amount of people who could be charged', says journalist

23 people may be charged over the Hillsborough disaster

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Families of the Hillsborough victims are not happy with the number of people who are likely be charged over the disaster and believe more police officers should be called to account.

That's according to John Keith, who was Merseyside correspondent for the Daily Express at the time of the disaster and visited Hillsborough in its immediate aftermath.

Keith was speaking to George Galloway after reports that investigators probing the disaster have passed evidence on 23 individuals and organisations to the Crown Prosecution Service, which will now decide whether to press criminal charges. 

Ninety-six Liverpool fans died at Sheffield Wednesday's Hillsborough stadium on April 15, 1989 during the FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest. Keith was at the other semi-final, between Everton and Norwich City at Villa Park, but rushed to Hillsborough when he heard there had been an accident.

He told George that he visited Liverpool's Anfield ground every day for three weeks after the incident. In that time, he says, "Anfield wasn’t a football ground, it was a garden of remembrance."

Turning to the ongoing inquest, he said "the families are not very happy about [the 23 individuals], as it includes only eight police officers. They feel that it is a scant figure, it should be much more than that.

“It could be at least six months now before there’s a decision on whether any charges are going to be brought. To say [the families have] been patient is the understatement of the century."

Listen to the full audio above 

Comments