Hillsborough: People still think we're guilty, says Liverpool fan Tony Evans

96 fans lost their lives at the Hillsborough football disaster in 1989

Fans stand in front of the Hillsborough memorial at Anfield

Friday, January 13, 2017

Journalist and Liverpool fan Tony Evans has said it's vital that the ongoing investigation into the Hillsborough disaster leads to prosecutions, so fans who attended the tragedy can get closure.

Evans, who was at Hillsborough on the day of the disaster, said people still try and blame him and his fellow supporters, but he believes there is finally light at the end of the tunnel.

He spoke to Julia Hartley-Brewer after news that investigators have identified 23 individuals and organisations as suspects in the criminal probe into the 1989 disaster, in which 96 Liverpool fans were fatally crushed during the FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest. 

The original verdict of accidental death was replaced by one of unlawful killing last year, paving the way for the criminal prosecutions long demanded by families of the victims.

Evans said: "it's really important for the families and survivors [that justice is done]... but the most crucial thing for everyone in this country, it's about public safety."

The journalist, a regular contributor to talkSPORT, said that, at public events, it's vital to feel secure in the knowledge "that the people that are trusted to take care of you will do that and then, if it goes wrong, will actually look into the reasons why it went wrong, so it won't happen again, instead of covering up and throwing the blame at the people who are victims."

Evans revealed that people still come up to him now and tell him to admit responsibility, such as the prejudice against Liverpool fans that persists to this day.

However he expressed the hope that the first criminal cases will come to court by the end of this year, and eventually people will be held accountable for the tragedy.

Comments