The Home Office has rejected suggestions that Amber Rudd made promised campaigners she would establish an inquiry into the 1984 clash between police and miners at Orgreave.
The Home Secretary announced yesterday (Monday) there would be independent review or inquiry into the confrontation at the coking plant in Rotherham. The clash had involved violent scenes involving thousands of police and striking miners.
The decision shocked many people who had campaigned for a full public inquiry. They had been given the impression that some kind of review would be established.
The Home Office said today: "The Home Secretary met the campaign and their supporters on September 13 to hear their concerns in person.
"The Home Secretary has told the Orgreave Truth and Justice Campaign (OTJC) that she considered a range of options in reaching her decision but at no point did she ever commit to establishing any form of inquiry."
This has not dampened the determination of the campaigners.
Chris Peace of the OTJC said: "We say the decision is deeply disappointing and absolutely unacceptable.
"It is nearly 32 years since 95 miners were arrested at Orgreave, now some of those miners are dead and the surviving ones face the prospect of more time, more delay, before we get truth and justice.
"But we are determined people and the Orgreave Truth and Justice Campaign will continue to build on the already wide support for a full independent inquiry.
"We will not give up."