Jeremy Corbyn snubs Trump state visit banquet

Friday, April 26, 2019

Jeremy Corbyn has said he will not be attending the state banquet planned for Donald Trump’s long-awaited state visit to the UK in June.

The Labour leader said Prime Minister Theresa May was wrong to "kowtow" to the US president.

However, Mr Corbyn said in a statement that he would be prepared to meet Mr Trump during his stay to discuss "all matters of interest".

"Theresa May should not be rolling out the red carpet for a state visit to honour a president who rips up vital international treaties, backs climate change denial and uses racist and misogynist rhetoric," he said. 

"Maintaining an important relationship with the United States does not require the pomp and ceremony of a state visit.

"It is disappointing that the Prime Minister has again opted to kowtow to this US administration.”

Liberal Democrat leader Sir Vince Cable has already turned down an invitation to the banquet, saying he believed the invitation to Mr Trump had been issued "inappropriately".

The white tie dinner banquet at Buckingham Palace, hosted by the Queen, is a key event of a three-day state visit.

The dinner is traditionally attended by senior politicians - including the leader of the opposition - and other dignitaries.

Words by Wesley Hudson

Read more

Donald Trump to visit UK in June

Lloyd Russell-Moyle: UK will regret offering Trump a state visit