At least 25 people have died in Siberia after drinking bath oil having used it as a replacement for alcohol, according to an official statement by Russian investigators.
The investigation team said a total of 42 people have been admitted to hospital. Russian news agency Interfax claims the death toll is now 33, but this has yet to be verified.
Two people have been detained on suspicion of distributing the oil, investigators in Irkutsk said.
The label on the product warns that it should not be consumed and it contains methylated spirit. However it is not clear whether those selling the product had marketed it as a substitute for alcohol.
More than 100 points of sale have been identified, with searches being conducted at markets.
Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev has said he wants to look at banning the product, and investigators say they have opened a criminal case into the poisonings and confiscated 2,000 litres of the oil.