Londoner Peter Bailey illegally traded leopard, crocodile and elephant skulls

Bailey admitted importing specimens from Africa

Peter Bailey was found guilty of six counts

Friday, September 29, 2017

A man has been given a suspended prison sentence after being convicted of illegally trading endangered leopard, bear and crocodile skulls.

Peter Bailey, 65, had been found guilty at Inner London Crown Court of six offences on September 1.

Bailey, of Chale Road in Lambeth, was found guilty of four counts of keeping items protected by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species for sale. These included endangered primate, leopard and bear skulls.

Bailey was also guilty of one count of selling a baboon skull and offering a dwarf crocodile skull for sale.

Today (September 29), Bailey was sentenced to a total of 26 months' imprisonment, suspended for 18 months. He was also ordered to complete 120 hours of unpaid work and pay court costs of £4000.

In addition to the aforementioned items, Bailey was found to be trading skulls from a variety of other animals including chimpanzees, drills, guenons, mangabeys, macaques and colobus. He also attempted to sell derivatives from other endangered species, such as crocodiles, elephants, Asian black bears and whales.

The court heard how Bailey had offered items for sale and sold items without the necessary Article 10 certificate* or import permits which are required for the trade to be deemed legal.

The items were examined by Government-appointed wildlife inspectors who concluded that many of the primate specimens originated from west or central Africa and were taken from the wild recently. This is of particular concern in relation to drills, which are critically endangered species.

During interview, Bailey admitted that he had imported specimens from Africa. Two baboon skulls were sold to a UK buyer after they were advertised via an on-line marketplace as 'taxidermy monkey skull, baboon, curio, collectable skull, rare' and sold for £140 and £170 respectively.

Bailey appeared at Inner London Crown Court on March 15, where he entered not guilty pleas.