Madeleine McCann investigation granted further funding

Kate and Gerry McCann said they were incredibly grateful for the continued investigation

Kate and Gerry McCann said they were incredibly grateful for the continued investigation

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Detectives investigating Madeleine McCann's disappearance are to be given more funds for the search.

A Metropolitan Police application for more funding for Operation Grange has been accepted, the Home Office has said.

A spokesperson said: "The Government remains committed to the investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.

"We have briefed the MPS that its application for Special Grant funding for Operation Grange will be granted."

Every six months Government funding for the investigation has to be agreed and it is thought this funding may be worth up to £150,000, according to the Daily Mail.

The operation was granted £154,000 from October last year until the end of March.

Clarence Mitchell, the spokesman for the family, told the Daily Mail that Madeleine's parents Kate and Gerry McCann are "incredibly grateful" to the Home Office for granting the money request.

He said: "They are very encouraged that the Met Police still believe there is work left to be done and they are incredibly grateful to the Home Office for providing an extra budget for the investigation."

More than £11 million has been spent so far on the probe to find the missing girl, who vanished from the family's holiday apartment in Praia da Luz in Portugal in May 2007, aged three.

The Met Police launched its own investigation into what had happened to the child in 2011.

Her parents have vowed never to give up hope of finding their daughter.