Man decapitates his own dog and sets house alight after Spice overdose

Man decapitates his own dog and sets house alight after Spice overdose

Paul Kelly decapitated his dog after overdosing on Spice. Image: Mellissa Dzinzi/SWNS.

Wednesday, January 30, 2019

A man cut off his own dog's head and set a family’s house alight after overdosing on Spice, a court heard.

Paul Kelly, 49, decapitated his pet and then tried to set its head alight after taking the synthetic drug and becoming convinced the animal was possessed.

The horrific act was discovered when Kelly's girlfriend went to his home and found the dog had been decapitated.

Duncan Ritchie, prosecuting, said: “The defendant burned the dog’s head in a bin and moved the torso on to a sheet and took it to a wooded area.”

Kelly then torched his own house then broke into a family home and set it alight.

The residents of the house were at home at the time, described the incident as “like a scene from a horror movie.”


'Pyschotic episode'

Judge Simon Phillips, QC, said: “If the householders had remained unaware of your actions the consequences could have been life-threatening.”

Leeds Crown Court heard Kelly was suffering from a psychotic episode when he committed the offences due to taking the synthetic cannabis drug.

Kelly then caused extensive damage to his home in Beeston, West Yorkshire, by setting fire to a gas meter cupboard on October 15.

Kelly also targeted a large detached house in Morley, West Yorkshire, the next morning.

He managed to get inside by smashing a window at around 7.30am.

Three people were upstairs asleep when they were woken by banging and found Kelly in the games room.

He was holding a cigarette lighter to a piece of kitchen roll and accused the woman who lived at the house of being a “murderer”.


'Not born out of revenge'

Emergency services were contacted and Kelly told police officers who arrived at the scene that there was a bomb inside the house.

He also said the property would blow up as he was standing near a large store of alcohol.

Kelly was interviewed and told police he could not remember what had happened because he had been smoking Spice.

The defendant pleaded guilty to arson, being reckless as to whether life was endangered, and arson with intent to endanger life.

He appeared in court last month and was given an 18-week prison sentence after admitting causing unnecessary suffering to an animal.

Oliver Jarvis, mitigating, said the offences occurred after Kelly stopped taking his medication for depression and experimented with taking spice.

Mr Jarvis said the arson attack at the house in Morley, West Yorkshire, was a random offence.

He said: “This was not a plan born out of revenge or jealousy which so often these serious offences of arson are.”


'Understandably absolutely terrified' 

Kelly was told he must serve a custodial term of seven and a half years followed by an extended licence period of four and a half years.

He was given an extended prison sentence of 12 years over the offending which took place in October last year.

He was also made the subject of a restraining order banning him from returning to the house in Morley, West Yorkshire.

Detective Inspector James Entwistle, of Leeds District CID, said: “The family whose home Kelly broke into before starting a fire were understandably absolutely terrified by his behaviour.

“He also admitted killing and mutilating his pet dog, which many people will be appalled by.

"He has been indefinitely banned from keeping animals as part of his sentence for that offence."

Kelly has previous convictions for serious offences, he was given an 11-year sentence in 1995 for armed robbery.