Man dies after new tattoo is infected with flesh-eating bacteria

Man dies after new tattoo is infected with flesh-eating bacteria

A man died after his tattoo became infected (Stock image)

Monday, June 5, 2017

A man has died after his tattoo became infected with flesh-eating bacteria which live in ocean water.

The 31-year-old man got a tattoo on his leg and went swimming in the Gulf of Mexico just five days later, according to Zee News.

It is usually common advice for those getting tattoos to avoid going swimming for a few weeks after a tattoo has been put on the skin.

The British Medical Journal reported that a few days after the swimming session, the man's skin went red on his tattoo and legs.

He also developed a fever and went to hospital, but by this time his legs had turned purple and he had large blisters filled with fluid.

Doctors believed he had been infected with the bacteria vibrio vulnificus, which lives in warm waters on the coast.

Before this incident, the man had had alcoholic cirrhosis, which is a liver disease caused by alcohol consumption, and can increase the risk of becoming infected withthe bacteria.

When he visited hospital with the infection, he was firstly treated with antibiotics and his condition improved.

But around two months later his condition had worsened again and complications related to kidney failure, liver damage and tissue destroyed by skin lesions caused his death.