Man guilty of possessing stun gun disguised as torch

Anthony Walker bought the stun gun online

Thursday, August 29, 2019

A man has been sentenced to two years in jail – suspended for two years – for importing and possessing a prohibited weapon disguised as a torch.

Anthony Walker came to police attention in March last year after Border Force intercepted a package from China.

The parcel contained a stun gun disguised as a torch and a subsequent search of his London home found a second such item.

The Met's Counter Terrorism Command head, commander Richard Smith, said police “acted decisively” to ensure there was no danger to Londoners.

“The Met works in partnership with other police forces and security agencies in a joined up approach to spot and challenge any suspicious behaviour or activity,” he said.

“Working with colleagues in the Border Force, who intercepted Walker’s parcel, we were alerted to his attempt to obtain a proscribed dangerous device.”

Border Force spokesman Martin Hendy said he “will not hesitate” to share intelligence with other agencies.

“Border Force officers at postal hubs, ports and airports across the UK are at the frontline of keeping illegal items, including offensive weapons, out of the country,” he said.

“As in this case, seizures can often be the vital first step in bringing a prosecution and we will not hesitate to share intelligence with the Met and other law enforcement agencies.”

Any suspicious behaviour or activity can be reported to the Anti-Terrorist Hotline on 0800 789 321.

Read more

Children sold knives by four major retailers

Young drug dealers offered driving lessons in bid to cut crime