Man shot dead by police in Streatham attack was convicted terrorist

Sudesh Amman, 20, was released from prison despite a warning that he posed a continued risk

Monday, February 3, 2020

The man shot dead by police following a stabbing attack in south London was a convicted terrorist who had recently been released from prison and was under surveillance.

Fanatic Sudesh Amman, 20, who was jailed for possessing and distributing terrorist documents in December 2018, had been freed in the past six weeks.

He was released despite a warning that he posed a continued risk, prompting renewed concerns about how convicted terrorists are dealt with in the justice system.

Sam Armstrong, from the Henry Jackson Society - a foreign policy think tank - said Amman was thought to have been staying in a bail hostel in south London.

He said the society had warned in December that Amman was due for release within the next two months and should not be let out of prison.

Mr Amman, who at the time of his sentencing was 18 years old and had an address in Harrow, north-west London, had been jailed for three years and four months for possessing and distributing terrorist related material.

Two people were stabbed in the attack in Streatham on Sunday afternoon.

Three victims were taken by ambulance to south London hospitals.

A man, in his 40s, is no longer considered to be in a life-threatening condition. 

A woman, in her 50s, who had non-life threatening injuries has been discharged from hospital.

Police said a second woman in her 20s, who received minor injuries believed to have been caused by glass following the discharge of a police firearm, continues to receive treatment.

TalkRADIO's Julia Hartley-Brewer asked the Chief secretary to the treasury, Rishni Sunak when should his party take responsibility for monitoring terrorists.

"Your party has been in power for ten years. At what point do the Conservatives take responsibility for this?"

"It does take a new act of parliament to change the law," said Mr Sunak. "Since Boris Johnson has taken office and has had a long track record of saying that we should stop early release of prisoners. This is a priority piece of business for us."

A device found strapped to the body of the suspect was a hoax, the Metropolitan Police added in a statement.

It said: "The situation has been contained and officers from the Met's Counter Terrorism Command are now leading an investigation into the incident.

"The incident was quickly declared as a terrorist incident and we believe it to be Islamist-related."

People took shelter in nearby shops as the incident unfolded on the busy south London high street.

Police continued investigations overnight, with search warrants being carried out at two addresses in south London and Bishop Stortford.

Read more

Three jailed for armed raid on rival gang’s cannabis factory

Cyber fraudster who ‘never worked a day in his life’ jailed

talkRADIO: Listen live