Manhattan and Elizabeth bombs were linked, says Homeland Security official

Manhattan and Elizabeth bombs were linked, says Homeland Security official

The attack in Manhattan injured 29 people (Getty)

Monday, September 19, 2016

An official from the US Department of Homeland Security has suggested the bombs left in Manhattan and Elizabeth, New Jersey over the weekend were linked.

Officials had previously declined to make a firm connection between the blast which took place in the Manhattan district of Chelsea on Saturday, injuring 29 people, and Sunday's discovery of five bombs at a station in the town of Elizabeth, one of which exploded when a bomb squad robot attempted to disarm it. 

New York governor Andrew Cuomo has also said that he believes the Manhattan bombing could be a terrorist act with a foreign connection.

The authorities had earlier released a picture of a man they are seeking in connection with the Manhattan blast. The FBI said the last known address of Ahmad Khan Rahami, a naturalised American of Afghan descent, was Elizabeth.

The FBI says the man should be considered armed and dangerous, he is described as being 5 foot 6 inches tall and having brown eyes, hair and facial hair.

It has been reported that investigators believe the same man may have been seen on CCTV in both locations.