More than three million EU citizens apply to stay in the UK after Brexit

Home Secretary Priti Patel said: "It's the biggest scheme of its kind in British history and means that EU citizens can evidence their rights for decades to come"

Thursday, February 6, 2020

More than three million EU citizens have applied to live and work in the UK after Brexit, according to the Home Office.

More than 2.7 million applicants have been granted permission to remain in the UK so far with the majority being finalised in the last 18 months.

Of these, 58 per cent were granted settled status - a permanent right to remain - and 41 per cent were given pre-settled status, which gives them temporary permission to stay and the chance to re-apply after five years.

Some 12,950 applications were void or withdrawn and another 3,280 classed as "invalid".

Six applications were denied because the applicants were regarded as serious or persistent criminals.

Home Secretary Priti Patel said: "I'm delighted that there have already been more than three million applications to the hugely successful EU Settlement Scheme.

"It's the biggest scheme of its kind in British history and means that EU citizens can evidence their rights for decades to come.

"It's now time for EU countries to adopt a similar scheme."

Read more

Donald Trump wins impeachment trial and remains in office

Military personnel at freshers’ fair could hurt people's mental health, warns Cambridge student union

talkRADIO: Listen live