A 56-year-old man has been found guilty of wounding with intent after he launched a violent machete attack on Metropolitan Police officer, PC Stuart Outten.
Muhammad Rodwan was however cleared of attempted murder and possession of an offensive weapon after a trial at the Old Bailey.
The court heard how the 29-year-old officer suffered multiple stab wounds and skull fractures but was able to end the “savage” machete attack by disabling his aggressor with his Taser.
PC Outten suffered six blows to the head, fracturing his skull
Muhammad Rodwan was cleared of attempted murder
The incident happened after PC Outten pulled Rodwan’s white van over for having no insurance in east London on August 7 last year.
Rodwan, who has previous convictions for rape and two machete attacks, denied the charges against him and claimed he was acting in self-defence.
He told police: “My life is worth more than his life.”
But graphic footage caught on police bodycams showed that, as PC Outten tried to arrest Rodwan, the defendant punched him and grabbed the 2ft long blade.
The machete used by Muhammad Rodwan on PC Stuart Outten
Rodwan had claimed he had the machete in his van for his gardening work.
Afterwards, Pc Outten said he counted himself “very lucky” to survive, saying “thankfully” his head was hard enough to withstand the onslaught.
He said: “On that night I was just doing my job, doing what I'm trained to do, but more importantly making sure I didn't die, because that was a distinct possibility had the attack carried on.”
WATCH: Onlookers film the attack
Following the verdicts, Detective Chief Superintendent Richard Tucker paid tribute to PC Outten, saying: “He did what I would hope the vast majority of police officers in the country would do.
“He had the training, he put that into action, notwithstanding he was very, very lucky that day and I'm very, very proud of Stuart. He did an amazing job to apprehend that individual.”
talkRADIO: Listen live