North Korea's latest missile test ended in farce on Sunday morning as observers said the missile blew up almost immediately.
United States Pacific Command said in a statement that the type of missile used is still being assessed, but claimed the launch had been a failure. This was corroborated by South Korean military officials.
The test took place in the eastern port city of Sinpo, in defiance of a desist warning from US President Donald Trump.
Just yesterday (April 15) North Korea warned that it is prepared and equipped to conduct a pre-emptive strike on the US if tensions between Pyongyang and Washington continue to escalate.
Choe Ryong-hae, an aide to North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, was quoted by The Telegraph as saying: "If the United States wages reckless provocation against us, our revolutionary power will instantly counter with annihilating strike, and we will respond to all-out war with all-out war and to nuclear war with our style of nuclear strike warfare."
Choe sounded the warning during North Korea's Day of the Sun, a day of homage to the regime which was marked by a huge parade of men and materiel through the country's capital Pyongyang.
Mr Trump's vice-president, Mike Pence, has travelled to South Korean capital Seoul to discuss ways to counter North Korean aggression and nullify the threat of a nuclear or missile attack from the pariah state.