Not prosecuting Prince Philip over crash 'blatant favouritism', says criminal barrister

Prince Philip

Friday, February 15, 2019

A criminal barrister has slammed the Crown Prosecution Service for deciding not to prosecute Prince Philip, accusing the service of "blatant favouritism".

Jeremy Dein QC appeared on the breakfast show to discuss the news that the Duke of Edinburgh had avoided prosecution for his collision with a car carrying two women and a baby in January.

"It sounds like blatant favouritism to me. If this man's name was Philip rather than Prince Philip, I suspect that the police would have had him in the Magistrates Court instantaneously," Mr Dein told Julia Hartley-Brewer.

 

 

"It's actually something that troubles me very greatly. He was caught driving without a seatbelt two days later."

The CPS said it was not in the public interest to prosecute the 97-year-old duke, who had given up his driving license last week.

"This sounds like a classic case of police favouritsm and it's not for the first time either where the rich and wealthy are concerned," Mr Dein added.

"There's another consideration which is what was he doing driving at all? He is unbelievably privileged. He probably has available to him an infinite number of drivers."

Comments