Paralysed right to die campaigner Paul Lamb launches High Court bid

Friday, July 5, 2019

Right to die campaigner Paul Lamb has said MPs are “scared” to give those in chronic pain access to assisted suicide.

He told talkRADIO’s Julia Hartley-Brewer he would feel “protected” if his High Court bid to change the law on assisted dying is successful.

“I’ve seen people over the years that have needed something like this and they’ve been crying out for help,” he said.

“Some of these people have been in hospital lasting two or three years, just screaming out for help in pain, and of course the help’s not coming.”

He added: “The only thing they can do really is medication and so if that gets stronger and stronger my feelings on it is they knock you out more and more.”

Mr Lamb was almost totally paralysed from the neck down following a car crash nearly 30 years ago and lives with debilitating pain.

In 2014 he lost a Supreme Court case over the right to die, but said opinions on the ethics of assisted dying have now changed.

The former builder said if the law were to change he would not necessarily seek to take his own life immediately.

Instead he wants the right to die to become “something that each individual can make a choice of when they need to”.

“That would complete me. I’ll feel I’m protected,” he said.

“I won’t be taking this unless it’s absolutely necessary and I can’t cope with it anymore.”

Read more

Sir Vince Cable declares support for assisted dying after previously opposing it

‘100 million people worldwide have access’ to assisted dying, says CEO of Dignity in Dying