Parole board followed correct procedures when releasing black cab rapist John Worboys, claims justice secretary

David Gaucke has said a review is vital

John Worboys' release has caused controversy

Tuesday, January 9, 2018

The Parole Board followed "the correct procedures" when informing the victims of "black cab rapist" John Worboys of his release.

However, Justice Secretary David Gauke told MPs the fact that some of the women learned of the decision from the media meant there was a need to review procedures.

Gauke, speaking in the Commons, confirmed that as a "priority" there would be a review of the procedures and transparency of the Parole Board.

The newly appointed Justice Secretary told MPs that the review would report back before Easter.

The decision to free Worboys, nine years after he was jailed, has prompted dismay from victims, as well as questions around why not all of the 102 complainants had seen their cases brought to trial.

talkRADIO presenter Julia Hartley-Brewer spoke passionately on the issue last week, saying that there is no way Worboys can be safe for release, given the crimes he has committed.