Passenger on flight bound with gaffer tape after demanding more alcohol and kicking flight attendant

Passenger on flight bound with gaffer tape after demanding more alcohol and kicking flight attendant

The incident happened on a Malaysian Airlines flight (Stock image)

Friday, June 2, 2017

A Malaysian Airlines passenger demanded more wine and kicked a flight attendant before being handcuffed and bound with gaffer tape, a court heard.

Hospital receptionist Maxine Williams had been drinking alcohol for 10 hours before shouting at steward Teoh Ming Lee, according to Court News UK.

She said "I hate your f***ing country" and "you Malaysian pig" whilst the plane was at 30,000 feet.

The court heard that the woman then went to the first-class galley on a search for even more alcohol, so the captain on the flight asked for her to be tied up.

As staff sent her back to the seat, she allegedly fell onto another passenger and snapped an arm rest in the process. She went on to kick Lee's bottom, the court heard.

Lee spoke at Willesden Magistrates’ Court and said she felt degraded by Williams' actions and children nearby were crying and scared. She added that another family had to move away from the woman.

When the plane landed at Heathrow police were waiting and the woman was still drunk.

Williams denied the charges and claims staff are exaggerating the situation in order to justify the fact they tied her up.

She also said she wasn't drunk despite having two glasses of champagne and three glasses of wine.  

In response to the charges of racial abuse and kicking the flight attendant, Williams said: "I was wearing socks, it would have hurt my foot. I would have broken my foot. I wouldn’t dream of doing something like that."

However Williams was found guilty of using threatening and abusive words or behaviour, racially aggravated harassment, beating steward Teoh Ming Lee and entering an aircraft when drunk.

But magistrate Andy Millen said the court hadn't got sufficient sentencing powers for this case, and so Williams will be sentenced at Isleworth Crown Court but the date has not yet been chosen.